We love because God first loved us. I John 4:19 (ISV)

Friday, August 27, 2010

A Tired Heart Is Like A Dying Plant

We had this activity in our Science subject back in third grade. We planted two seeds of monggo beans in two separate pots. After few days, the seeds grew. One plant was well taken cared of: watered, exposed to the sunlight, and weeded. The other plant experienced the exact opposite. The plant that was nourished grew, with shiny green leaves; the unnourished one eventually withered and died. Our Science teacher explained to our young minds that chlorophyll is vital for photosynthesis, which allows plants to obtain energy from light. She said that the plant died due to absence of exposure to sunlight.

Learning from my Science subject, I made sure to take care of what I planted. I was in grade five when I tried growing orchids and daisies in our small garden at home. I watered my plants every morning and afternoon, before and after going to school. I made sure that no weeds would grow; otherwise, my plants would struggle and die due to lack of nourishment. The daisies and the orchids bloomed with very colorful flowers: yellow, red, orange, purple, etc. Seeing those beautiful flowers made me smile and proud. I felt like I have a “green thumb”. Until one heavy rain ruined them all. My orchids did not have nets to protect them. My daisies were washed away by the flood. It was terribly disappointing. I did not cry but I lost the passion to grow flowers.

Just thinking. Isn't a plant like one’s heart? Like a plant not cultivated, an abandoned heart does not grow into full. Just like a plant, a heart has to be nurtured by affection, care and love. Yes, God’s heart never ceases to love. Yet, a man’s heart may choose to stop loving — when taken for granted, hurt, and tired.

How do you take care of the hearts of those you love?

No comments:

Post a Comment