We love because God first loved us. I John 4:19 (ISV)

Friday, August 27, 2010

My Father's Love

I might be stubborn at times, but I have done my best to obey my parents as they kept on reminding me and my siblings of Ephesians 6:1, which says, “Children obey your parents for in the Lord this is right.”

True enough, I did not have a boyfriend until I finished college mainly because of my father. When I was in high school, Tatay told me, with a stern look and firm voice, that he would drag me home the moment he saw me with a guy. He was mad at me that time for I went home late (about 6:00PM) from class. He refused to believe I was in the town library doing research work. I was hurt he doubted me when I told him the truth.

Tatay is a man of few words (too few that I remembered) while Mama is a woman of many words (too many that I forgot). Back then, when Tatay spoke, his words penetrated to my heart. He seldom hurt me and my siblings in a physical manner. But I did experience a slap from him when I was in 4th year high school. He was terribly mad at me when I went home late from a movie house. As he slapped me (good thing it only hit the cap I wore and not much of my face), he insisted I was with someone (and I was pretty sure he was thinking of a male companion!). I cried hard. Not because of the physical pain but for his lack of trust. I did not understand why he had to slap me. I could have lied but opted to tell the truth. I was thinking he would understand and would just tell me not to do it again. After that incident, I was distant to him for more than a week. Later on, I “sort of realized” my fault and tried to make it up with him. I made sure to go home right after class and not to watch a movie again. I only went back to that movie house when we had a film viewing for our English subject.

Back then, I thought Tatay was too rigid. I was even surprised when he did not hesitate to send me to UP Mindanao for college, when I would be away from the family, from his eyes. Yet, he supported me the best he could. That time I suddenly felt I already gained his trust. That he believed I would still do well even while away. And it felt so good.

I still think Tatay is rigid. But the big difference now is that I understand why he had to when we were younger. He just loves me and my siblings so much to protect us by all means, from wrong actions, wrong paths, which may lead to greater pains.

I love both my father and my mother. But I would say that for most, it is my father who has shaped my character.

No comments:

Post a Comment