We love because God first loved us. I John 4:19 (ISV)

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My 30th Birthday


September 3, 2010

My 30th birthday was one of the happiest. And my happiness just radiated in my face, they said.

Though I got caught with cold, I was still beaming with excitement thinking of the persons who would remember my special day and the feeling of being a year older.

Though I am used to celebrating my birthdays away from my family since I was in college, still a part of me was wishing I could spend my special day with my family. I once tried going home on my birthday but it was very physically draining with the long travel and short leave from work.

I celebrated my birthday with my officemates and my church mates (DBC Young Professional care group). A night before my birthday, I also joined the birthday celebration of Chandi, a house mate whose birthday was just a day ahead. I just bought an ice cream for them, which I refrained from eating due to my sore throat.

I had a simple but "sweet" lunch with my officemates. What made it sweet was the blue berry cheese cake (my fave cake!) an officemate surprisingly gave me. I was touched with his gesture. It was really sweet as he lit the yellow (my fave color) candle for me to blow, and hurriedly left to get the cake he was trying to hide from me. My officemates were teasing Jaypee. They remarked that for the past five years they have been officemates, it was his first time to give a birthday cake to an officemate. And how come he already gave me one when he just knew me for barely three months. And how come he was there when it was his day off (well, they did not know i invited him *wink*). Mischievous officemates! I could not help but smile and laugh the whole time we had lunch.

Again, I had a simple but "sweeter" dinner with my care group. We had a bible study led by Patrick. We regularly have bible study every Friday. Wonderful timing! My birthday was celebrated not just with foods but with God's words. I was also teary-eyed when my care group friends shared their thoughts for me. Well, what was common with their speech was that, their friendship with me was something they did not expect for certain reasons. Shiela mentioned she felt awkward with me because I seemed not approachable and too "lady-like" the first time we met, plus the fact that the guy she used to admire is a close friend of mine. Ellaine said it was because of my closeness to someone who used to be special to her (well, that was before I knew him..hehe) and my friendship with someone whom her boyfriend (Elwyn)used to court. Elwyn also cited the same reason. Tere, Matet and Patrick stated it was because we did not have much time to really mingle and bond because I was not attending the fellowship for about two years as I pursued my masteral study. I was only able to attend few times in the young professional fellowship.

Then, it was Jaypee's turn to speak. My care group friends really wanted him to be the last to talk (they said they wanted to reserve the best for last! hmmmnn...) He also said he did not "really" expect to have me as a close friend. I smiled when he said the three things he likes about me, that I am sweet, caring and a conversant ("makwento" as he said it). I also smiled when he said he always looks forward to see me and spend time with me as his lunch buddy(really? hehe). I did not expect him to share to the group that he already cried because of me though we are just friends (hmmnn... he made me cry, too...). I was a bit silent when he "sort of explained" to the group why he did not pursue courting me. (Maybe what gave him the courage to share it was the fact that I already shared it to my care group.) The rest of my care group attentively listened to him as he spoke. Maybe, just like me, they did not expect him to share it to them considering that they knew each other just recently through me.

When it was my turn to speak, I was teary-eyed, as I realized how blessed I am to have wonderful friends like them, whom I freely share my joys and fears without the fear of being misunderstood and misjudged. It is simply because I know their relationship with the Lord, and that they genuinely care for me not just as a friend but as a sister in the Lord. I also thank the Lord for they warmly welcome and befriend one special person in my life.

I praise and thank you Lord for these wonderful people!


Note: Thank you Jayp for your "sweet" friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment