We love because God first loved us. I John 4:19 (ISV)

Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Dear Friend on One Painful Friday



I did try to endure the pain so I could report for work. I managed to take a bath, fix myself and go to the office just in time. As I sat down in my desk, I felt so weak. My boss came in a little late so I had to wait for her to seek permission before I could go home to rest. As much as I wanted to continue working, I couldn't. The pain of my dysmenorrhea was beyond tolerable. And so I went home. It was my first time to be absent from my current job. I did experience dysmenorrhea almost every other month since early last year, yet I endured the pain, or it occurred during my rest days.

The pain always reminds me of the same pain I felt the day before I had appendectomy more than two years ago, hence anxious thoughts would creep in. I am afraid something wrong might happen. I am afraid to undergo the same painful experience, undergoing an operation without my family.

I slept again fully covered with a blanket. Three hours later I woke up with fever (38.8 degree Celsius). I panicked. I was afraid something's wrong. The pain seemed to increase even more. I could hardly walk. I only got paracetamol, no pain reliever. I asked my roommate to buy food for my lunch so I could take medicine right after. No one could buy pain reliever for me since my roommates had to go to school. I remembered my dear friend (and neighbor) Arbee. I sent her a text message asking favor to buy medicines for me. After several minutes, she came with the medicines (good thing she has ready medicines in their house). As we entered the room, I couldn't help but burst into tears because of the pain and anxiety. Seeing me cry, she kidded I might not only have a dysmenorrhea but also a broken heart. What she said made me laugh.

As a nurse and as someone who also experiences severe dysmenorrhea, she told me the basics of it. She also told me it would be better to drink pain reliever at the onset of the pain. I am not so open to taking pain reliever as I do not want my body to be dependent on it every time I have dysmenorrhea. But that time the pain was too much I decided to take one. She also let me take paracetamol and advised to continue with the medication until the fever subsides. Before she left, she told me to give her updates. What she said was very re-assuring for me.

My sincerest thanks to you my dear friend! Thank you for empathizing with my pain and for caring for me. You were the angel God sent to comfort me.

I'll gonna miss you, my little boss. . .
You will always be in my prayers. =)


p.s. I feel better now as I am writing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment