We love because God first loved us. I John 4:19 (ISV)

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Unique Friendship






Last night was an awesome experience. Two of my roommates were drunk. They are not really drunkards but opted to drink for almost the same reasons: Badin missed her family and Babem had a petty misunderstanding with her mom. They had their drinking session at our terrace, which I was clueless of as I was busy in our room surfing the internet. They were already drunk when I got their letter asking my permission for them to drink.

I have known them both shortly since we are roommates for only more than a month now. I am more than a decade senior than them. Our age gap is something I appreciate. Their youthful aura makes me feel light and brings out the "child" in me. They remind me of my college days then.

They have different personalities. Badin is the silent type; Babem is the expressive one. But last night, I discovered something new about them. When drunk, Badin is more expressive while Babem is silent and sweet. Badin kept on laughing, talking and apologizing for drinking. Babem kept on telling us, " I love you", while kissing our cheeks. And a normal reaction of drunk ones, they did vomit.

I was just amazed with how we reacted with their behaviors. Together with our "landlady" and other house mates, we assisted them as they were too drunk to handle themselves. I could sense no irritation among my house mates. I saw everyone's care for them. We assisted them in different ways. Our landlady and two house mates brought Babem to the comfort room so she could take a shower since her clothes were dirty due to too much vomiting. One house mate brought a pale for them to vomit. Other house mate brought mugs with lukewarm water for them to drink. Everyone had the patience listening to Badin's emotional and often-repeated lines. Another roommate was busy documenting the "event". . . An hour later, we went to bed after ensuring the two had slept already.

Yes, we all came from different backgrounds. We only got to know each other the time we live in this apartment. It is like living in ABS-CBN's "Big Brother's House". The main difference though is that we behave normally, not to earn a prize. In my case, I have lived in this boarding house with the same landlords for about four years now. Yes, I also considered finding another place wherein I could have my own room and enjoy some privacy. But my previous experience renting my own room was lonesome. I felt so alone especially during troubled times. And I think what really made me stay this long here is the sense of belongingness. I feel like they are my "second family". Our landlady and her seaman husband are not just good looking but very considerate. Their pretty five-year old girl is so smart that sometimes I feel like she outwits us.

Indeed, a unique friendship. The sad part though is that I can not have the same roommates all the time. In fact, my old roommates already left after finishing college. I was depressed when they left for good since I got so used of being with them. Yet, as the time goes on, I have realized one happy part, that is, every now and then I gain not only new house mates but friends. I am also glad I still have one house mate (Ms. Amie) who has been with me for few years already. She also told me she prefers to stay here with her younger sister even after graduating.

Surely I wont stay here forever for I also want to have a family of my own in the near future. I wont be with these young ladies, my landlady and her family for a long time. But there is one thing I am sure of. They always have special place in my heart.

Thank you Lord for these wonderful people! :-)

Note: By the way, Badin and Babem are already good while I am writing this. We are all teasing them. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment